Not everything is meant to be reheated and consumed. Here are some of those foods and why you should refrain from giving them a second go in the oven, on the stove or in the microwave. (Celery, with its high nitrate content can become toxic if you heat it the second time.)


With its high protein content, chicken can cause several digestive problems if you reheat it after a day or two. The best way to consume stored chicken is to put it in a cold salad or a sandwich.


Spinach, like a number of leafy greens, is rich in iron and full of nitrates. If reheated, these nitrates can convert into nitrites and other carcinogens.


This protein rich morning staple should not be exposed to heat over and over again. Reheating eggs at high temperatures can cause them to become toxic and wreak havoc in your digestive system.


This food should be ideally consumed the same day due to their complex protein composition. Before you cook mushrooms, take the exact amount you think you can finish the same day.


According to the Food Standards Agency, eating rice stored at room temperature can give you food poisoning because of the spores of bacteria present in rice which are still present even after reheating.


Potatoes are nutritious, but they lose their nutritional value if you let them stand at room temperature for long. They can actually become toxic and cause illnesses, such as food poisoning.


Turnips are a common ingredient in soups and stews. Due to their high amount of nitrates, reheating the vegetable is not advisable, as it can become toxic.


Oils such as grape seed, walnut, avocado, hazelnut and flaxseed have very low smoke points. So, when you reheat them, they become rancid. Avoid using them as your cooking oil and sprinkle them onto your dish at the end to enhance taste.


Beets are rich in nitrates, just like spinach. Reheating beets can cause a lot of trouble, so it’s best to eat them cold if there are any leftovers.

This green leafy vegetable is best when eaten raw. Cook it if you must, but never reheat butter lettuce, as the high amount of nitrates can cause food poisoning.